So, we might have gotten to being agile, decades after, having taken a page from manufacturing. But surely, the software practices thereafter evolved much faster than its manufacturing counterparts. Now, however, it seems like the manufacturing world should catch up soon . The presentation above talks about a whole lot things. Their process already seems to have embraced a lot of stuff we do, some adapted -
- They call it eXtreme Manufacturing (XM)
- Scrum - 7 day
- Cross-functional teams
- Feedback - Showcasing often
- Evolutionary design - starting with ugly&working&frugal products
- Inter-changeable/modularized parts
- TDD! and regression suites
- Promiscuous pairing, even!!
Seems like they also presented in Agile 2012 in Dallas - wonder what your takeaways were, if you were there.
Here is another, shorter, talk o TED by Joe Justice.